Photograph of Clem Kennedy and Ross Peterson teaching a percussion class during the Summer Music Workshop held at San Francisco State College in 1943. The San Francisco State Music Federation (an umbrella organization for all of the campus music organizations) sponsored a new teaching laboratory that became the Summer Workshop called “Special Practice Teaching in Music,” in 1937. This summer session course allowed music student teachers to engage local junior and senior high school students in learning under the supervision of master teachers. With funding from the United States Work Progress Administration (W.P.A.), the Music Workshop provided quality music training for a nominal fee.