Photograph of Karl D. Ernst lead Summer Music Workshop Band in a Noon Concert on the Buchanan Street Campus in 1946. The San Francisco State Music Federation (an umbrella organization for all of the campus music organizations) sponsored a new teaching laboratory that became the Summer Workshop called “Special Practice Teaching in Music,” in 1937. This summer session course allowed music student teachers to engage local junior and senior high school students in learning under the supervision of master teachers. With funding from the United States Work Progress Administration (W.P.A.), the Music Workshop provided quality music training for a nominal fee.